Monday, June 23, 2014

A Notice And A Thank You

Dear readers,


In preparation for Rema's next phase of existence, whatever that may be, I will be retiring the Rema novel archives Monday, June 30th (next week). It's a decision that's been on my mind since serialization ended, since that was basically its broadcast run. This doesn't mean that you will never see the book again, but it does mean that the serialized online version won't be available after next week.

If you follow my Twitter account, then you know I've rewritten the beginning and have been working on streamlining the entire book. The one online doesn't reflect where the book is now, and to continuously update the rewrites seems a little overdone.

I'll keep this blog up as a production blog, with updates on Rema's status and drawings here and there, and as a place to keep in touch with the readers who still check in.

I can't thank you guys enough for this experience. I first put Rema online because I believed it was absolutely unreadable. Giving it away for free was me giving up on it, so that it would at least exist somewhere after working on it for so many years. I was very depressed at the time, and felt that I wasted many years chasing something that no one would ever care about.

When feedback started trickling in, I was seriously confused. Maybe they're just being nice? Maybe they're just nostalgic for the comic and will take what they can get? There's no way they actually want to read more. But then you kept coming back, kept being excited, kept cheering the characters on, and life was slowly breathed back into the project, and into me.

Writing is still so new to me. I've never taken classes for it, and I wasn't even very good in English and literary classes in high school and college. I was very much swimming alone in open waters. The pursuit of writing has been terrifying for me from the day I decided to do it. I nearly drowned but you held me up, and I'll be forever grateful to you for it. This book exists because of you, and I will not let it slip away without a good fight.

So while the online novel is going to be archived, this is by no means the end of Rema or even its sequels (there are at least two more books that need to be written!). I will definitely make a big post when the book is available to own, either as ebook, kickstarter, or published novel, that is still up in the air. Either way, don't be a stranger and check in once in a while for that update.

Again, I thank you all so much for traveling to Rema with me in this exciting format, and I will carry your comments with me throughout the rest of my writing career, wherever it may go.


Love,
Amy

21 comments:

  1. I am so glad you never gave up on Rema. You created such a beautiful world, and interesting characters, and we are so happy you have shared them with us. We are so looking forward to the sequels! Keep up us updated. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kellie! I have a lot of faith in this project now thanks to you and your family. ^_^ I wish much happiness to you all! And I will definitely keep everyone updated. <3

      Delete
  2. I've said it once and I'll say it again, I've been following Rema since I stumbled upon it at 14. I've followed your career as an artist, as a mother and now as a writer. (and a move across the country in there, too). I've always had a soft spot for the original comic and I still like going back and rereading it. Its been fun watching the world evolve as you grow as a person. I understand your wanting to taking this down as it is. Like a lot of things, it adapts as the creator evolves as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your understanding and enthusiasm. Everyone has been so supportive and I feel so lucky that readers like you have stuck around. I have no idea what Rema's end game will be, I mean I have my hopes and dreams, but the journey to get there so far has been such an adventure in itself that it's been worth it. I look forward to seeing where this all leads. Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. Hi Amy, im usually not one for commenting, but I've been coming back every so often since 2004 and I remembered the site briefly yesterday. To my surprise you had book one online and ended up reading and rereading it until 4 am! The world you've created is simply too marvelous to forget and the evolution of your story is incredible. Whatever format or medium you choose to publish your story, and however long, I will happily wait and continue to support your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Christine! Thank you for coming out to leave a comment. I'm sorry you had to stay up so late, but I'm also so glad you got a chance to read it! I'm so happy you enjoyed it and I can't wait to share the new material with everyone, hopefully in a more easy-to-read format. Thank you again for remembering my work. :)

      Delete
  4. I love Rema so much! I can't wait to see what happens next and where you take it from here. I'm so glad you've included us in your journey. It really is easier when you're not alone. Till your next post! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I just want to say that whatever form the book takes from here, I hope you include the chapter illustrations going forward! I love relationship between art and writing, and it's been one of my favorite parts, to get to read the chapters and see them illustrated.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Laura, and thank you so much for all you commentary and enthusiasm throughout. You guys all make me feel so fortunate. Posting this online was so fun and I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. And I will definitely keep the illustrations! They are a part of the world of Rema, just as much as the story itself.

      Delete
  5. I am so, so glad that I sought you out just as you were starting to post your weekly chapters, and so grateful that I could be part of the select audience that could see the first (public) draft of a book we cared for so much. It has been an honor, and I mean that with great sincerity. I imagine that the revisions and editing process and all that comes with the cocoon stage will only make the novel better, and look forward to seeing what happens with hope and eagerness.

    Thank you for having us.

    Alles liebe,
    --Morgan P. in Deutschland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my mommy-brained fog, I realize I never replied to your kind message, Morgan. The honor was all mine and I can't wait to share the new version with all of you, as well as book 2. Thank you so much for taking the journey with me and for the vote of confidence. All the best to you! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Amy! I left a comment or two while reading your work, and I just want to let you know that I loved it and will definitely buy it if you publish an ebook version. Even if you don't, I'll still buy the printed version; it'll just take a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lavender! Thank you so much for taking time out to leave such an encouraging message. I'm sorry for such a late reply! I hope to have it printed with a publisher, but if it doesn't work out I will definitely ebook it myself. I look forward to having it available to you all again someday, either way.

      Delete
  7. Hi Amy! I don't remember if you remember me, but forever-years ago I said hello to you at the Otis panel. Please let me know if/when you do publish a book for the Rema universe, as I very much would like to purchase it as I find myself strapped for time to read the online version. I know it will be taken down before I can lay my eye on the last chapter. And like the others I hope chapter illustrations are included. I've always enjoyed your artwork. - Kim aka Raika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Raika! I DO remember you! It was actually the highlight of the panel for me, because whenever I meet someone that enjoyed Rema I always am so touched. The story is so personal to me. I'm so sorry you missed the online serialization though!! I will definitely include chapter illustrations regardless of format. I can't wait to share the newly polished version again. I hope to have news about all of that sooner than later. Thank you so much for remembering me over the years!

      Delete
  8. I love Rema, and the characters that you created will always be there in my personal fictional character pantheon that rattles around in my imagination, whether they ever get published or not! The flavor of your writing is so delightful that I will always check back someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking time to tell me this Katherine, and for your enthusiastic feedback during its serialization as well. You all are really too kind. :')

      Delete
  9. Hi Amy,

    I've been thinking about Reman Mythology on and off lately, as I originally got hooked on the webcomic while it was being released many years ago. Like some of the other people who have commented here, the story never left my mind, and the world and characters really captured my imagination. I reread the comic online every few years, and it's always so enjoyable. I'm sorry to see I missed out on the novelisation, but I plan on keeping a closer eye on your blogs from now on, and I hope I catch the next phase of Reman Myth, whenever that may be! Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking time to tell me this. It really made my day. :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Amy,

    It's been years since I read your comic. I'll never forget how depressing it was to get to the end of such aa fabulous story. I just reread it and it's as wonderful as it was the first time I read it and I can't wait to get my hands on the graphic novel (literally can't wait, it's eating me up inside). You do fantastic work and I'll be keeping a close eye on your blog so I don't miss anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello [unknown] :) Thank you for leaving me this kind message. I'm sorry the story of Rema has been such a tumultuous ride! It'd given me lots of angst as well but I can finally say the book is turning out just as I always hoped it would. I truly can't wait to share it with you and everyone else. Thank you for remembering Rema!

      Delete